It wasn’t by chance that Sonja has found her work educating the world about othering. As a young child, her curiosity and observant nature made her look at life differently. And differences were exactly what she saw. More importantly, she saw the misbeliefs and fear that drive people to see someone different as borderline not-human. If you’ve ever felt like you’ve been judged by your cover this one’s for you (psst… it’s for all of us).
Can’t-Miss Moments From This Episode:
- Who packed your baggage? SPOILER ALERT: from before the time you even knew your own name, someone else has been packing that shit for you. Check out Sonja’s amazing analogy for all the crap we carry around with us.
- Cross the bridge, folks! You don’t always have to go down one mountain to go up the next, so why do we often pick the hardest possible way forward? Hint: because we don’t see the bridge. Sonja has a few tips to make sure you always see it.
- “But I’m not good at talking to people.” If that’s how you think, get ready to take notes! Sonja has a dozen great questions you can ask that don’t just start a conversation, they start a true connection (none of that ridiculous small talk here, and “What do you do?” is FORBIDDEN).
- I didn’t think I was good at math, finances, or business until I started a business. Sonja and I break down what I changed to flip that narrative (and you can start using this trick to flip the script on your own faulty beliefs).
- What’s the right picture to represent a business — A “professional” headshot with perfectly coiffed hair and makeup, or the Evil Queen from Snow White rocking out on stage? According to Sonja, both. Here’s her take on finding the right image for yourself.
This one is jam-packed full of advice. Don’t miss out – listen now!
Sonja Pemberton is a professional speaker and transformational catalyst. With a career spanning more than 25 years, she has been privileged to lead, mentor, and coach across all career levels and generations, sharing her knowledge and expertise in culture and inclusion, and leadership development. The movement she has founded, “Dispelling the Myth of the Other,” has been spoken on and taught worldwide.
Resources and links mentioned:
Come kick ass with me:
Download this episode